This is what the curfew means for businesses

Back to overview
There is a curfew in place throughout the Netherlands from Saturday 23 January through Wednesday 10 February. How does this curfew affect your business? For instance, can your employee still travel to and from work? This article answers this and other questions about the ‘avondklok’.

What is the ‘avondklok’?

The avondklok or curfew is in place from Saturday 23 January through Wednesday 10 February, every day from 21:00 – 04:30 hours. During these hours, it is not allowed to be out on the streets without a valid reason. Nor can you:

  • sit in your own vehicle;
  • travel on public transport;
  • sit in a taxi;
  • sit in a company vehicle.

You are allowed to be in your garden or on your balcony.

What are the exceptions?

You are allowed out on the street during curfew under the following circumstances:

  • performing necessary work;
  • calamities;
  • medical aid to persons or animals;
  • providing care to relatives or neighbours (‘mantelzorg’);
  • travel at the request of a judge or public prosecutor;
  • travel for a funeral;
  • walking a dog on a leash;
  • travel to or from abroad;
  • taking a vocational education (mbo/hbo) or university (wo) exam.

What happens if you are outside without a valid reason after 21:00 hours?

It is your own responsibility to make sure you are inside on time. So factor in possible traffic and delays. The enforcers (police or boa’s) will assess whether or not you have a valid reason to be outside during the curfew. If you break curfew, you risk a fine of €95.

When are persons allowed to be outside, and is there a difference between private and work reasons?


If a person older than 12 years of age needs to be outside after 21:00 hours, they have to be able to show a ‘Self declaration curfew‘ (in Dutch, but will be made available in other languages) form. If you need to go outside on a daily basis, you can fill out a period of time instead of just one day. You don’t need a form in case of calamities, return from abroad or walking the dog.


If you or your employees need to go out to work, you need a second form besides the Self-declaration: an Employer’s declaration. The employer fills out this form for his employees. The employer is responsible. If you hire temps, the hiring party needs to sign the form.


Travellers from abroad do not have to show a form, but they need to be able to demonstrate that they have come from abroad, and that they have a valid reason for being outside after 21:00 hours. They can use a ticket as proof, for instance.

Do I have to fill out an Employer’s declaration for every employee, every day?

You do have to fill out an Employer’s declaration for every employee. If you print out the form, you have to sign it. If you fill it out online, you can check the box that you have filled it out truthfully. If your employees need to go out every night, you won’t have to fill out a new form every time. You fill out the relevant days and times on the declaration. For instance: weekly on Mondays and Tuesdays, or a number of days in a row. Be as specific as possible.


Read more
Photo: Scott Graham on Unsplash